Sunday 27 March 2011

The Social Network


The Social Network is possibly one of the most depressing films I’ve ever watched. One way to look at it is a film about a young Harvard student who creates a social networking website to become the world’s youngest billionaire. Here’s how I saw it: A guy puts all his time and effort into making something to gain the interest of his ex who broke up with him because he was a douche while at the same time alienating his closest friend while not showing a single bit of emotion throughout the entire film.
Yes, he was rich and set for life but he practically stabbed his best mate in the back who had worked his arse off and actually put in the money to help start The Facebook going. Frankly, I found that extremely depressing.
Now that that’s done, I can say it was a very well made film and deserving of its academy award  for best adapted screenplay because I was able to grasp what they were saying and I’m crap with computer techno language. It manages to keep you on your toes throughout the film as Mark Zuckerberg and his gang get steadily more and more successful climaxing in reaching a million users. Of course, then again, it keeps bringing you down with scenes in an office where Zuckerberg is being sued for hundreds of millions of dollars so it doesn’t let you stay cheerful for too long.
I know it’s supposed to be factual and so not given a happy storyline like most fiction works do, but that doesn’t stop me feeling depressed watching a guy treat his supposedly best mate like that.
It’s an interesting film and is actually funnier than I expected it to be so I would recommend it.
Zuckerberg’s still a douche though.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this for the first time last week. I really enjoyed it but it made me look at my Facebook addiction in a different light. Probably a bit sad that it took a movie to remind me that in the end, it's just a website (and a glitchy site at that!) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always been an addict.....cos i'm cool :D
    i liked the film though, i just hated the main character lol x

    ReplyDelete